Thursday, September 23, 2010

Announcement, Announcement, Annoooouuunnnnccement!


Raegan started playing the piano at the young age of 7. She truly enjoyed playing and would practice her little pieces of Old McDonald and Mary Had a Little Lamb until she felt confident she could play them perfectly for her teacher, Mrs Weaver. We were so grateful to have found such a loving piano instructor for Raegan. They worked well together for almost 4 years until Raegan reached level 5 and Mrs Weaver could no longer teach her. We then found a young man at church who had gone to school to study music and played the piano beautifully. Unfortunately, he turned out to be better at playing than he was teaching. The experience with her second instructor seemed to have stolen Raegan's enthusiasm for playing. She wanted to take a break after that. Weeks turned into months, and eventually a year had passed with Raegan not interested in lessons and her piano here at home collecting dust. I was torn as to what I should do because I've heard testimonies of people hating forced music lessons as a child, then growing to thank their parents for not letting them quit.
Anyway, Raeg and I were talking the other night and.. she has decided to start lessons again. I'd be lying if I didn't tell you I've waited for this day, and have even pushed a little for it, ha! But ultimately, I want it to be her decision. We found a seemingly nice and talented female teacher who lives only minutes from us. Raegan's first lesson is scheduled for next Tuesday at 4:45. I have no idea how this will turn out, but I'm hoping this teacher can help rekindle the love for piano Raegan once had. Raegan is so talented musically, I would love to see that talent nurtured so it can grow.
I said all that to say, "Yay! Raegan is going to give lessons another try!" :)